Carol ChaseBankruptcy, Restructuring, & Insolvency
Attorney Carol Chase is a founding member of Chase Bylenga Hulst, which she started with Steve Bylenga in 2010. She focuses her practice solely on the field of Bankruptcy Law.
Carol attended Hope College and was one of the first graduating classes of Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1980.
Carol has over 38 years of bankruptcy experience, including more than 18 years as the staff attorney for the Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee’s office in West Michigan. As a Chapter 13 Trustee attorney, Carol was responsible for overseeing the administration of thousands of Chapter 13 bankruptcy reorganizations and was instrumental in shaping the Chapter 13 bankruptcy practice of West Michigan. She has mentored many of the consumer bankruptcy attorneys in West Michigan. Carol was born in Grand Rapids and has raised her family here. She and her husband Mike are actively involved in the community, as well as in their children and grandchildren’s lives.
In January of 2016, Carol was presented with the first ever “Distinguished Colleague Award” in which she was nominated by fellow attorneys in the Debtors’ Bar of West Michigan. The inaugural award states that her colleagues acknowledge her extraordinary leadership, mentorship, and influence over the local bankruptcy practice in the Western District of Michigan.
In July of 2016, the Bankruptcy Section of the Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Michigan, which is comprised of debtor attorneys, creditor attorneys, and Bankruptcy Trustees, awarded Carol with the Nims-Howard Civility Award “in recognition of conduct, skill and advocacy that exemplifies the tradition of civility of the bench & bar of this District.” Carol has also been recognized by the Women’s Lawyers’ Association of Western Michigan as “a member who has exhibited a long-term commitment to the advancement of women’s rights in society and the legal profession” when she received their “Outstanding Member Award.”
- Thomas Cooley Law School, Juris Doctor (1980)
- Hope College, Bachelor of Arts (1975)
- Michigan (1980)
- U.S. District Court for Western District of Michigan
- Woman Lawyers Association of West Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association of Western Michigan
- Debtors Bar of West Michigan (Board of Directors)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Chapter 7 vs. Chapter 13, Debtors Bar of West Michigan Fourth Annual Winter Seminar (2014)
- Case Law and Procedure Update, Debtors Bar of West Michigan Third Annual Winter Seminar (2013)
- Chapter Thirteen and Panel Discussion Debtors Bar of West Michigan Winter Seminar (2011)
- Bankruptcy Best Practices Seminar, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of the United States Trustee (1995-2006)