Steve BylengaBankruptcy, Restructuring & Insolvency, Civil Litigation
Steve Bylenga is a partner of Chase Bylenga Hulst, PLLC, which he co-founded with Carol Chase in 2010. Steve’s main practice areas include representation of creditors and debtors in consumer and commercial bankruptcy cases, civil litigation, and business law. He specializes in counseling creditors and debtors in commercial collection and bankruptcy matters, including commercial workouts, corporate restructuring, adversary proceedings, and bankruptcy litigation.
Before forming the law firm of Chase Bylenga Hulst, Steve attended college at Miami University, and earned his law degree from Marquette University. From there, Steve became a managing attorney of a multi-state bankruptcy law firm for a number of years before deciding to focus his practice on more complex bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
Steve was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers from 2014 through 2016. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Steering Committee, a member of the Board of Directors for the Debtor’s Bar Association of West Michigan, and is a frequent speaker at bankruptcy seminars. He has also instructed law students as an adjunct professor at Western Michigan University Law School.
Steve grew up in Grand Rapids and currently resides in East Grand Rapids.
- Marquette University, Juris Doctorate (2006)
- Miami University, Bachelor of Arts (2003)
- Michigan (2009)
- Wisconsin (2006)
- U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for Eastern Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for Western Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Debtors Bar of West Michigan (Board of Directors)
- Federal Bar Association of Western Michigan
- Steering Committee for the Bankruptcy Section of the FBA
- Embezzlement, Federal Bar Association Annual Bankruptcy Seminar
- Post 341 Issues, American Bankruptcy Institute Veteran’s Day Seminar (2017)
- Adversary Proceedings and Contested Matters, Debtor’s Bar Association of West Michigan Annual Seminar (2016)
- Property of the Estate and the Automatic Stay, Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Practice (2015)
- Adversary Proceedings, Federal Bar Association Annual Bankruptcy Seminar (2014)
- Preparing Schedules, FBA Bankruptcy Bootcamp (2014)
- Student Loans and Adversary Proceedings, Debtor’s Bar Association of West Michigan Annual Seminar (2014)
- Client Intakes, FBA Bankruptcy Steering Committee Boot Camp (2013)
- Non-Dischargeability and the Michigan Builders Contract Fund Act, Debtors Bar Association of West Michigan Annual Seminar (2013)
- Bankruptcy Basics, Grand Haven Law Day (2012)
- Exemption Planning, Federal Bar Association Annual Bankruptcy Seminar (2011)
- 2021: Best Lawyers in America © – Bankruptcy and Litigation
- Top Lawyers: Grand Rapids Magazine (2019)
- 2014-2016 Michigan Rising Star, Bankruptcy
- Super Lawyers